1. Scott KD, Berkowitz G, Klaus M. A comparison of intermittent and continuous support during labor: a meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999 May 180:5 1054-9.
2. Kennel J. Klaus M, McGrath S, Robertson S, Hinkley C. Continuous emotional support during labor in a US hospital. A randomized controlled trial. JAMMA 1991 May 1 265:17 2197-201.
3. Scott KD, Klaus PH, Klaus MH. The obstetrical and postpartum benefits of continuous support during childbirth. J Women's Health Gend Based Med 1999 Dec 8:1257-64.
4. Keenan P. Benefits of massage therapy and use of a doula during labor and childbirth. Altern Ther Health Med 2000 Jan 6:66-74.
5. Wand D, Mao X, Qian S. clinical observation on Doula delivery. Chung Hua Fu Chan Ko Tsa Chih 1997 Nov 32:11 659-61.
6. Zhang J, Bernasko JW, Leybovich E, Fahs M, Hatch, MC. Continuous labor support from labor attendant for primiparous women: a meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol 1996 Oct 88:4 Pt 739-34.
7. Nolan, M. Supporting women in labor: the doula's role. Mod Midwife 1995 Mar 5:3 12-5.
8. Gordon NP, Walton D, McAdam E, Derman J, Gallitero G, Garrett L. Effects of providing hospital-based doulas in health maintenance organization hospitals. Obstet Gynecol 1999 Mar 92:3 422-6.
9. Langer A, Campero L, Garcia C, Reynoso S. Effects of psychosocial support during labor and childbirth on breast feeding, medical interventions, and mothers' well being in a Mexican public hospital: a randomized clinical trial. Br J Obstet Gynecol 1998 Oct 105:10 1056-63.
10. Klaus KH, Kennell JH. The doula: an essential ingredient of childbirth rediscovered. Acta Paediatr 1997 Oct 86:10 1034-6.
11. Raphael D. Support and variation, the needs of the breastfeeding woman. Acta Paediatr Jpn 1989 Aug 31:4 369-72.
12. Barron SP, Lane HW, Hannan TE, Struempler B, Williams J.C. Factors influencing duration of breast feeding among low-income women. J Am Diet Assoc 1998 Dec 88:12 1557-61.
13. Campero L, Garcia C, Diaz C, Ortiz O, Reynoso S, Langer A. "Alone, I wouldn't have known what to do": a qualitative study on social support during labor and delivery in Mexico. Soc Sci Med1998 Aug 47:3 395-703.
14. Manning-Orenstein G. A birth intervention: the therapeutic effects of Doula support versus Lamaze preparation on first-time mothers' working models of care giving. Altern Ther Health Med 1998-Jul 4:4 73-81.